June 13, 2008

light sabers and mighty warriors...

I'm sitting here at my computer listening to screams, high fives, and loads of loud fun as my son celebrates his 8th birthday today.   He got a new NBA basketball game, his favorite sport and is just feeling down right happy!  I just love Levi's laughter, willing to act silly to make others laugh.  I love his strength...enduring sleepless nights of itching some times and still hanging tight.  I am so proud to be this boy's mom. 

Tonight he is blessed to have some of  his longest known and best friends in all of the world, Luke and Gabriel by his side.  As G always reminds him...I've known you my whole life!!  
This year, God has blessed Levi with a new special buddy, Eddie, who he loves to spend time with and sometimes they remind me of 2 peas in a pod!  Surrounded with buddies, what could be better.

Needless to say, after good pizza, too much cake and ice cream, bubble gum sticks, pepsi, and one amazing burping contest, we have had fun.  I think I burped the alphabet to D and then realized that when you eat too much pizza and try to belch, it hurts. 

Have you ever noticed how they love to fight, to wrestle, lead a battle...attack each other with squirt guns, it's just their nature.   I've witnessed many a battle in my days.  Especially with those plastic light sabers that light up and make sound on contact, now that's cool wrapped up for $15!  

So, the verse that came to me was the one in Phillipians 2:14-15...the part that says "shine like the stars, as you hold out the word..."  It reminded me of the light sabers.  The greatest battlers in the kingdom of  Christ are the ones who know the Word, hold it out as a great light in the darkness and use it to do battle.

Ephesians 6 is a great chapter on spiritual warfare. It says we don't wrestle with flesh and blood but against rulers, authorities, against the powers of this dark world, spiritual forces....can't fight them without the Word. You know, the Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God.  Like a light saber, only more powerful to do real damage when the enemy comes knocking with his lying schemes to get us down, defeated, feeling unworthy and tempted to give up.  God's word busts through the dark and sets captives free!

Yep, think I'll head out to the campfire and roast some marshmallows, or maybe just watch them melt in the fire.  I will have to unbutton my shorts if I eat any more sugar tonight.  

Plan on reminding these young army men that to be powerful for the Lord, a real man, a mighty warrior...you have to know the Word.  All other weapons mean nothing in the spiritual realm, but having this one in your arsenal can save you, save others, bless you in abundance, and do damage to the enemy's deadly schemes.  who needs a light saber? 

Added note to self:  
Try and do devotional time  earlier in the night, like before all the cake, ice cream and marshmallows. So the boys can listen, focus, get it, you know sit on the couch for longer than 12 seconds without jumping, hitting, laughing or burping!   Oh well, we learn as we go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Levi! For some reason, I had it in my book on the 21st...Give him a squeeze for me!

Kara said...

Oh noooooo your blog is better than mine! I'm glad to hear that Levi had a fun birthday. :)

Love ya sis