June 26, 2008

Let's give it up for the runners....




So this weekend I was blessed to be a part of my parent's "farewell" at the church they have faithfully served for over 22 years.  Indeed, it would be hard to put into words how blessed I was to see my dad preach an amazing sermon (shadowmoutain.org and go to sermon archives), sit next to my beautiful mom and watch as others poured out their love on my parents, grateful for what they had invested there.


Spiritual heritage?  amen and amen.  What more would I want for my kids than to know their Nana and Papa were being rewarded by men on this earth,  not just for being good employees to a company...but for their service to the One Who will someday reward them with the words we all long to hear, "Well done, thou give and faithful servant!"  

So, at this stage in their lives it is called retirement.  To step away from what they've known, you know, take a break, "you deserve it", after all the labor you've invested in others, it's your time now.   And, yes, I pray that in this new season in life they would indeed have a break. Moments of rest, time away, being ministered to, joy in abundance, peace that passes understanding, laughter that makes you weep....however this is what I know for sure.  My parents will never retire.  Not from their service to Christ, to one another or to the people most privileged to walk beside them in this life.

You see..their race is not finished.  Until the day Christ calls them home, they will run with abandon, with purpose, with a goal in their mind's eye....for what they do for eternity is what will last.  Imagine the blessing of having them as runners ahead of me, my siblings, and grandchildren...watching their steady race, sometimes stumbling or growing weary, but always looking ahead, never giving up.  Someday handing the torch to us, that the Word would continue to be spoken and used to minister hope to others. 

No question about it.  We've seen the sweat pouring off of them.  We've watched as they've had to rest along the path, recovering from injuries, wounds, stresses, deep heartaches.   Yes, running the race is filled with great joy...but the truth is, no one will ever cross the finish line without the wounds and injuries as reminders that the race was not easy, but ever so worth it. 

Worth it, because I see in their eyes the glimmer of the prize....I know they hear the Savior's call, sometimes a whisper, but always leading them.  Run on, faithful servant!  I am always with you, I will never leave you or forsake you.  I see the cost you have paid to carry this torch, and I am the Great  Rewarder, run on, run on!

My mom and dad's life theme has been Always Living in View of Eternity...seriously, when it's all said and done, what else could be more important than that?

And, one last thing....to my mom who has faithfully loved her Lord and Savior, encouraged, supported, loved, listened to my dad for all these years.  Poured into her family with great joy and a humble servant's heart.  You are the unsung hero.  You are a delightful example of a help meet to your husband.  For every meal you delivered to a family, every word spoken with encouragement, every note of love always signed with a verse, every smile given to ease the pain in someone's heart, your gracious listening ear, every moment of "background" service so that Alive ministries would be organized and well run, every note played on your piano as a sacrifice of  praise to your Lord, finding joy in the moment... God has seen every act of service in His name, God has collected every prayer you have laid before Him, He has called you by name and is delighted in you.  He sings over you with love.  And, I rise and call you blessed indeed.

And, to my dad.  Faithful man of God...who is purposeful in choosing to enjoy life, with laughter and joy. Who I believe has been annointed with a gift of wisdom from the Lord, and has shared that with others over the years, even when it cost him personally to do so.  A faithful husband who truly loves his wife, a dad who loves his children.   Couldn't ask for a better man in leading by example, laughter by the pound, a listening ear, wisdom from the Word, a servant's heart.   

To my precious parents, Run On!....the road ahead is sure to be one of great reward, that is just Who our God is.  And, you better buy a new pair of running shoes, I believe some of the greatest journey lies just ahead, above and beyond all that we could ask or imagine....
with great love, Kendra


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kendra,

What a beautiful tribute to your parents!!! I so enjoyed it!!

Love to you, Adrienne

Kara said...

I'm so glad you have a blog now!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an awesome legacy. I so much enjoyed the time we spent with your parents last year. They are truly amazing people--but then, they'd have to be to raise an incredible woman like you! I am so glad you have a blog now, I love to read your beautiful words. Miss you girl!

Tracy: said...

What a great post, Kendra! There is no greater blessing than to have such a rich heritage! Love you, Sweet K!

Tracy: said...

Hey girl, I don't know what your goal is for this great blog of yours but you kind of gave us all a little tease..keep writing girl. You have good things to say!!! I would love to see you do some weekly menu or recipes or something, you little cook ; ) Oh but, I also love to hear what God is doing in your life.

Kara said...

Still waiting for a post about the family reunion! ;)